In the current ever-changing and uncertain international business landscape, diversifying trade corridors remains a focus of Canadian companies in their efforts to grow. The Canadian Consulate General in Hong Kong is working to mitigate these challenges. Canada’s representation in Hong Kong and Macao has grown into one of our country’s largest diplomatic missions abroad. There are also an estimated 300,000 Canadian citizens living in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
Canada’s bilateral relations with Hong Kong reflect longstanding and comprehensive political, commercial and people-to-people ties. In addition to deep-rooted historical ties, Canada and Hong Kong share common values: respect for the rule of law; human rights and individual freedoms. Canada and Hong Kong enjoy strong cooperation in several key areas, including trade and investment, mutual legal assistance and public health.
Come meet and dialogue with the Jeff Nankivell, the Canadian Consul General to Hong Kong and Macau at this special round table lunch.
About the Speaker
- Mr. Jeff Nankivell became Consul General of Canada in Hong Kong and Macao in August 2016.
- From 2011 to 2016, Jeff served as Director General responsible for Canada’s official development assistance in Asia, first with the Canadian International Development Agency and then with Global Affairs Canada.
- Jeff has been posted 3 times to the Canadian Embassy in Beijing: in the development assistance section from 1991 to 1995 and 2000 to 2004, and as Deputy Head of Mission (deputy ambassador) from 2008 to 2011. He is fluent in Mandarin.
- He also held various positions at the Canadian International Development Agency between 1988 and 2008, working on programs related to China, Russia, strategic policy and international financial institutions.
- Jeff holds an M.Sc. in political sociology from the London School of Economics, a B.A. in international relations from the University of Toronto, and a certificate (one-year program) in Chinese language and culture from the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
|12:00 - 12:30||Registration, networking, lunch|
|12:30 - 12:35||Welcoming remarks - Bin Han, President HKCBA - Montreal Section|
|12:35 - 13:00||Speach by Jeff Nankivell, Consul General of Canada in Hong Kong and Macao|
|13:00 - 14:00||Q&A session / networking|
Thank-you to our host